DATE AND HONEY TEACAKE
Chef Devagi -
When I was working on a project in the UAE for about a year and half, I learnt so much about dates. Most interestingly, I witnessed their growth process, something that cannot be seen in Singapore for sure! There was a mouth-watering range of fresh and dried dates, in all sizes. I used to buy them back by the kilos and gift them out to my family members. It was on a period when I was back home that I baked this Date and Honey Teacake. The next time you find yourself with a lot of dates and overly ripen bananas, you know what to do!
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 220 g Self-Raising Flour
- 4 g Ground Cinnamon
- 120 g Softened Ghee
- 60 g Butter
- 100 g Light Brown Sugar
- 30 g Clear Honey
- 2 X 60 g Eggs, Beaten
- 120 g Pitted Dates, Sliced
- 240 g Peeled Ripe Bananas (2 medium sized)
- 60 g Whole Walnut Pieces
- 20 g Clear Honey
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Line the base and longitudinal sides of a 900 g loaf tin with non-stick paper. Alternatively, line only the bases of 4 mini loaf tins.
- Place the Flour, Cinnamon, Ghee, Butter, Sugar, Honey, Eggs and Dates into a Large Mixing Bowl.
- Mash the Bananas and add them into the Mixing Bowl.
- Beat the Mixture for 2-3 minutes, Using a Wooden Spoon until the Mixture is well Blended.
- Spoon the Mixture into the Prepared tin and Level out the Top.
- Scatter the Walnut Pieces over it.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a Skewer inserted into it comes out clean.
- Brush the Cake with the Remaining Honey while it is still Warm.
- Slice and Serve.